We use dynamics and imaging to understand behavior of cells and tissues.
Brain biomechanics and mechanics of soft tissues and biomaterials
Objectives: To better understand traumatic brain injury (TBI), and improve the prevention, diagnosis and therapy for TBI. To better understand brain development, and improve diagnosis and management of developmental disorders.
- Tagged MR imaging of the brain
- Magnetic resonance elastography of the brain
- Waves in anisotropic tissues and fibrin gels
- MRI of developing brain
- Modeling and simulation of brain mechanics
Oscillations and waves in cilia and flagella
Objectives: To answer the fundamental question: how do cilia and flagella beat? The answer will enable us to improve the diagnosis and treatment of cilia-related disorders or develop new micro-scale biomimetic devices.
- Video microscopy and waveform analysis
- Nano-scale imaging of the flagellar cytoskeleton
- Mathematical modeling of cilia and flagella
- Stability analysis and simulation of flagella/cilia models
MRI Measurement of the Mechanical Vulnerability of the Brain
High-Resolution, Anisotropic MR Elastography of the Brain
Connecting the mechanobiology of tissue and cells in cerebral cortical folding
Waves in anisotropic materials